If you have a complaint about the ownership of a picture or text, please contact me (juanribera@telefonica.net) directly and I will be sure to remove it at request as soon as possible.

sábado, 12 de abril de 2008

Llenapistas indie-northern soul (éxito garantizado)


Cuenta el de fireescapetalking.blogspot.com que estuvo recientemente invitado como Dj en un club indie en Malmo (Suecia) y que cuando pinchó esta canción de The Devonnes, llegó el éxtasis a la pista... (y él, muy amable, la cuelga para que todos nos la bajemos)


The clear winner in my rump-shakin’, crowd pleasin’, frottage actuating DJ set in Malmo was, using the time-honoured measurements of fist-pumpin’ euphoria, face-splitting grinnin’ and physical intoxication, (You’d Better) Straighten Up And Fly Right by The Devonnes.


This record has the sass of the greatest 60s girl group songs, probably the best bass line ever (I played this song to that Mark Monnone, bassist of The Lucksmiths, a few years ago: he stood stock still, transfixed, agog, for the entire song; non- bassists among you will react by smiling and dancing) and a double neat trade in killer lines: try “I can be like an old used car/I’ll quit on you if you drive me too far” for size.(You’d Better) Straighten Up And Fly Right was found in GWP’s vaults and issued by Kent in 2005. You can find it on the compilation GWP NYC•TCB and should do so: that CD contains essential cuts such as Debbie Taylor’s feisty Don’t Nobody Mess With My Baby, which wouldn’t have been out of place on the Hot Wax release schedule, and Little Rose Little’s blind devotion on the club soul of He’s What I Need.


No hay comentarios:

Archivo del blog

Datos personales

Mi foto
contact: silvinaberenguergomez@gmail.com